Once again, the last 12 months have seen the global office products (OP) industry continue to change substantially:
- Despite economic recovery being established in most markets, overall demand for traditional OP is steady at best, and in decline in many countries. What is the current estimated value of the core OP market, how is this changing in 2017 and 2018, and which of its subcategories are faring the worst and best?
- Managed print (MPS) is firmly back on the agenda for some OP distributors: what share of sales does this now account for?
- Distributors are reporting increasing sales of alternative product categories and services, particularly facilities supplies and business gifts. What is the estimated size of the available market for facilities supplies and in which of its constituent subcategories are OP distributors seeing the most growth at present?
- What effect have the disposal of Staples’ and Office Depot’s international business had on the market?
- Distributor margins continue to be under pressure: which types of OP distributor have ‘bucked the trend’, and how have they managed to do so?
- Profound changes are occurring in the structure of supply: e-commerce is now firmly established as the dominant OP ordering method in many countries, while traditional channels continue to be challenged. What channels have won and lost share in 2017 and which are most expected to benefit in 2018?
- With its Amazon Business operation now firmly established in a number of countries, Amazon is now widely recognised as a fast-growing player in this market. What share of the core OP market is it now believed to have, and where is it being most successful?
In such turbulent times, senior industry executives need a reliable yardstick against which to assess their own perceptions and strategies. Martin Wilde Associates (MWA), specialist researchers to the global OP market, and OPI – the global OP industry magazine – are proud to announce the launch of the fifth edition of their annual research study, “The State Of The OP Industry 2017-18”, which aims to be a ‘must have’ authoritative sourcebook for the OP industry, which:
- Investigates the OP markets in the US, Canada, Benelux, France, Germany, UK and Australia in detail.
- Is based on insights and data collected from in-depth and online interviews with c45-50 senior OP industry executives in the US (c10 interviews), Canada (c4), Benelux (c3), France (c7), Germany (c7), UK (c10) and Australia (c4).
- Collates and reports the 2017 financial performance of the key 15 OP distributors in the US and Europe, as well as the main industry events of 2017.
- Includes analysis and commentary from Martin Wilde, who has unrivalled experience of researching the global OP market, supplemented by further data and analysis from OPI, the leading global OP industry magazine.
The data collected from these senior OP industry executives will aim to answer the following questions for each country market covered by the study:
- What was the value of the core OP market in 2017?
- What are the core OP market growth trends in 2017 and 2018?
- What will be the value of the core OP market in 2018?
- What was the value of the addressable facilities supplies market in 2017?
- What are respondents’ overall revenue and margin trends in 2017 and 2018?
- What share of respondents’ sales are accounted for by JanSan supplies, breakroom/catering supplies, workwear/PPE, business gifts/promotional products, MPS and wellbeing/ergonomic products in 2017 and 2018?
- Which product categories are growing or declining overall in 2017 and 2018?
- Which distribution channels won or lost share in 2017 and 2018?
- What are the shares of respondents’ sales in e-commerce and own label products in 2017 and 2018?
- What share of the core OP market does Amazon/Amazon Business now have, and which customers is it being most successful in capturing?
- What are the recent and future results of the Staples and Office Depot divestments?
Research for the study commenced in January 2018, with the report being published in March 2018.
This authoritative industry-wide report is available for only £599 if ordered before 8th February 2018, and for £850 thereafter.
To download a copy of the brochure, please click on the link below:
To order your copy, please click here !