The authoritative sourcebook for the business products industry, the State of the Industry 2020-21, has just been published.
The eighth edition of the annual market research study by Martin Wilde Associates and OPI makes for especially interesting reading given the market upheaval seen over the past 15 months and the uncertainties that lie ahead in what is likely be a hybrid workplace.
The State of the Industry 2020-21 provides industry leaders with a firm perspective on what is happening – and will continue to happen – in the sector. It answers questions such as:
- Are traditional ‘core’ office supplies (OS) items now just legacy products?
- Will the OS industry continue to see exponential growth in sales of janitorial and PPE items?
- Will demand for catering supplies through OS channels begin to revive?
- Will demand for office furniture return to pre-COVID levels?
- Will the online players – and in particular Amazon – now lose share as lockdown retreats?
- Will managed print services arrangements reclaim the share recently lost to transactional sales of printer consumables?
The publication is the result of more than 50 in-depth interviews with senior executives in Australia, Benelux, Canada, France, Germany, the UK and the US. This year, it focuses particularly on the crucial KPIs that the COVID crisis has been affecting:
- What were respondents’ overall revenue and margin trends in 2020 and 2021?
- What share of distributors’ sales were accounted for by jan/san supplies, breakroom/catering supplies, workwear/PPE and MPS in 2020 and 2021?
- What share of resellers’ sales were via the web in 2020 and what will this share be in 2021?
- What were resellers’ average order values in 2020 compared to 2019 and what will this be in 2021?
- What share of resellers’ deliveries were to home addresses in 2020, and what will this share be in 2021?
- What was Amazon’s share of the core OP market in each country in 2020 and what will respondents do to fight back against Amazon in 2021?
- What was the value – and growth trends – of the core OP market in 2020 and 2021?
In addition, the State of the Industry 2020-21 survey investigates how respondents ‘pivoted’ their businesses in 2020 to weather the storm and how they intend to evolve in 2021. It also offers insight into respondents that are looking to acquire or develop strategic partnerships with other businesses.
The report is available now for £899 ($1,270) and can be ordered here.